For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 - 2 tbsp ice-cold water, if needed
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 tbsp water
For the filling:
- 3 1/2 cups red cherries, pitted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- For the pastry: Combine the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and pulse until a rough dough starts to form around the blade of the processor. Add a little iced water if needed and pulse again to bring it together; it should be soft but not sticky.
- Turn out the dough from the processor and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- After chilling, preheat the oven to 350F.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into a 0.5" thick round. Use it to line the base and sides of an 8" pie dish. Cut away any excess, overhanging pastry and gather into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill until needed.
- Prick the base of the pastry with a fork and fashion a pattern into the pastry edge using the blunt side of a knife.
- Line the pastry with parchment paper and fill with baking beans. Blind-bake for 15-18 minutes until golden at the edges.
- Remove from the oven and discard the paper and beans. Return to the oven to brown the base and sides for 3-4 minutes.