For the bruschetta:
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 7 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large vine tomatoes, cored, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch basil, leaves only
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small ciabatta breads, split in half
- extra-virgin olive oil
- For the tomato salad: Combine the onion, garlic, sugar, extra-virgin olive oil and some salt and pepper in a large serving bowl.
- Stir well to combine. Add the tomato, stir again and set aside.
- To serve: Preheat the broiler to hot. Brush the cut sides of the ciabatta with some extra-virgin olive oil.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes, turning once, until golden-brown and lightly charred.
- Remove from the grill and leave to cool. Add the basil leaves to the tomato salad and stir well. Adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve the salad from the bowl with the toasted ciabatta bread on the side.