- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only, finely grated
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole almonds
- 4 tbsp Italian fortified wine
- Preheat the oven set to 180°C (160° fan) | 350F | gas 4. Grease and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter with the sugar and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl until smooth and pale, about 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one by one.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, salt, almonds and fortified wine to make a smooth dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and divide into two even pieces. Shape into long, flat logs and arrange on the baking sheets.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes until the logs are pale golden and slightly firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to cool briefly. Cut into slices, on the bias, using a serrated knife.
- Arrange the biscotti slices on the baking sheets, spaced apart, with their cut sides facing up.
- Return to the oven for another 12-15 minutes, turning carefully after 6-7 minutes, until golden at the edges and dry to the touch.
- Remove to cooling racks to cool completely. Serve with coffee or fortified wine.