2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh sage
1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 pound crumbled gorgonzola cheese, more for topping
6 ounces fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 pound gnocchi, cooked
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted and chopped
Grated Parmesan cheese, for topping
Crushed red pepper flakes, for topping
1. In a 12-inch skillet add olive oil and set over medium heat.
2. When the oil is hot add the shallots, oregano, sage and black pepper. Sauté gently until the shallots are soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds or just until fragrant.
4. Pour in the heavy cream and let it gently simmer for about 5 minutes or until the cream is slightly thickened.
5. Turn the heat to low and add in the gorgonzola cheese. Stir gently to help the cheese melt into the cream, about 5 minutes. When the cheese is almost completely melted into the cream add the baby spinach and let the warmth of the sauce help soften the fresh spinach.
6. Add in the cooked gnocchi and toss to combine.
7. To serve, sprinkle the top with chopped toasted pine nuts and optional crumbled gorgonzola cheese, grated Parmesan cheese and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.