For the burger:
- 18 oz ground beef, at least 20% fat content
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 slices cheese of choice (optional)
- 4 sesame seed buns, split
- tomato ketchup
- 1 small curly leaf lettuce, torn into leaves
- 2 large vine tomatoes, cored and cut into thin rings
- 1 large white onion, cut into thin rings
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- For the burgers: Preheat the grill to a moderately hot temperature.
- Place the ground beef in a large mixing bowl and add 2 tsp salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Incorporate the salt and pepper into the ground beef with your hands. Divide the mixture into four and shape into patties between your hands.
- Press your thumb into the center of each patty to leave an indent. Brush both sides of the patties with a little melted butter.
- Carefully lay onto the grill and cook for 6-8 minutes, turning once, until the patties are lightly charred; place a slice of cheese on top of each patty (if using) about a minute before removing from the grill.
- Remove from the grill and place on top of the bottom halves of the buns. Top with ketchup, lettuce, tomato, onion, and bun.
- To serve: Serve on platters or wooden boards with French fries on the side.